“If you know anyone looking for work, please send them our way.”
- Every Fire Protection Contractor in 2023
The pressure is mounting on fire protection contractors to meet the growing demand for inspection, test and maintenance from their customer base while grappling with a serious shortage of skilled technicians. To address this issue, contractors are turning to emerging technology in the fire industry and leveraging its benefits to bridge the workforce gap and drive the growth of their service and inspection business with these new tools.
The Role of IoT Technology
IoT (Internet of Things) technology offers a NEW solution to the workforce challenge faced by fire protection contractors. By integrating intelligent devices and sensors with fire protection systems, contractors receive remote visibility into various aspects of systems. This technology-driven approach empowers contractors to overcome the limitations of a limited workforce and streamline their operations.
Benefits of IoT-enabled Fire Systems
1. Remote Visibility: IoT-connected panels provide real-time visibility into the status of fire protection systems, enabling contractors and customers to remotely view their performance, detect anomalies, and proactively address issues. This capability allows technicians to focus on critical tasks, maximizing their efficiency.
2. Predictive Maintenance: IoT technology facilitates predictive maintenance by continuously collecting and analyzing data from fire system components. This proactive approach helps identify potential malfunctions or failures before they occur, enabling contractors to schedule maintenance tasks efficiently and avoid costly downtime.
3. Automated Reporting: IoT-enabled fire systems automate the generation of inspection reports, reducing paperwork and administrative burden for both contractor and building owner. This automation not only saves time but also ensures accurate and consistent documentation, enhancing compliance requirements.
4. Enhanced Safety: By leveraging IoT technology, fire protection contractors can enhance the overall safety of their clients’ premises. Real-time visibility and instant notification capabilities enable quick response to emergencies or service needs, minimizing potential risks and damages.
Expanding Service Offerings
Beyond addressing the workforce gap, IoT technology enables fire protection contractors to expand their service offerings and provide additional value to their customers. With IoT-enabled fire systems, contractors can offer advanced services such as data analytics-driven insights, customized maintenance plans, and integration with building automation systems. These value-added services not only strengthen customer relationships but also create new revenue streams that function as a passive way to grow their businesses.
Where to Start?
Quick moving technology and fire protection are rarely mentioned in the same sentence. Although contractors know that the digital footprint will only increase over the next few years, most do not know who to trust or rely on for the right recommendations.
It is important that all factors are considered, including who is managing the data and how it is being acquired. With dedicated communication, strong cybersecurity protocols and read-only methods of collection, there are clear standouts in the industry that will not only provide peace of mind, but also scalability to a contracting business with a diverse portfolio of panel brands.
Fire protection contractors are leveraging IoT technology to overcome the challenges posed by the shortage of skilled technicians and meet the increasing demand for compliant fire system inspections, testing and maintenace. By adopting universal IoT solutions, contractors can remotely view and manage fire systems, automate reporting processes, and provide enhanced safety features.
With these advancements, the industry is well-equipped to bridge the workforce gap, ensure regulatory compliance, and answer the call of their increasingly demanding customer base.